Beiträge von SteveNew

Just if anyone tried the Forget spell in my build...

I just pushed a fix for a ForgetEffect bug I had introduced when adding class helpers - it was pretty easy to overlook, so I spend a bit of weekend to find it and fix.

So currently there is to me, no known bugs - but please notify me if you find anything.

I will push a bit of changes in a bit:

- Screen-shoot are now save in <MyPictures>, and can be grabbed with 'G'.

- Spell list in option dialog now also mouse wheel enabled

- keys 0-9 are spell hot-keys (but F3-F12 will also work)

- assigned spell hotkey are now shown in the spell panel:

I had thought about adding mouse wheel selecting to the spells, but not sure it is a good idea, since there are hotkeys.

It seems that there might be an issue in DoFrame on freed objects - that causes silent errors.

I did find that effects might have an issue, fixed that.

Thanks for comparing and explaining. I will look at it, also want to fix old DTMain bugs. But since the released code it not identical to what is in DTMain, I will try and fix as we find then.

I am currently having a look at the items.db

Found and fixed some issues - too many naked Elfs in the woods - updated XREF.db documentation.

And some of the noise from the log - generated by Effects and CheckCache.

Thanks - you are correct - apparently did I commented out the boots a year ago - can't remember why. They are back in the next build/push.

It seems I am not able to reproduce the Perceptible bug - I did try with your Kundschafter save game in SD - and let the guys beat me up. So I need a bit more detail.

The error message could indicate that since the address is so small that it indicates that the pointer to an object is nil. So something might not be loaded or it was premature freed.

It seems that there sometimes is an issue with the Character effect handling - you will not notice in game - but it is shown in the log. But I can not reproduce it on purpose.

But in general the housekeeping of the lists are not good. Will take a look.

I have tested the HD vs FullHD when just coping siege.exe and ddraw.dll into the installed game on 2 laptops - and HD worked on both - but FullHD only on 1. It turned out that that old laptop can not run that a high resolution - so I will put a check in - so that it can't be selected.

Did do some heavy spring cleaning in my repo, which make it easier for me to test on various assets - and also keeps it cleaner by removing was is not really belonging to the engine.

The assets are found together with the released binaries.

Just played a bit in HD on DE and EN versions, they work fine. Apparently my FullHD is broken when siege.exe is used as replacement. FullHD has been working fine on the opensource repos assets - unless I broke something 😊 will check during the week.

It is not the intro movie as such - but was there an option to disable? I am not at computer, but I remember it as the movie code being in the project file.

I tested on clean new installs with upgrade or SoAmigos patch. And then just copied siege.exe and ddraw.dll over. So UAC did apply since in "Program Files", and I tried it once in HD were it worked fine, and once in FullHD were it seemed that DX could not change resolution after bink movie - so I thought I would not bother right now. In a better world bink player should go.

I did not replace any resources files in the games.

Seems the effects, and trails and some clothing is on demand. The second parameter on the LoadResource and LoadArtResource. These are then cleared on a new map - I think - did not go into details. But it does make sense on older HW, but a bit more file I/O, little compared to all the other pox files - but the file is read at least twice. My guess is that they realized that it was a bad idea, so they just put them into bigger .ag files for HeroX.

Btw. What version of Delphi are you currently using? The on demand bug, was something I introduced when migrating the code to post-2009 Delphi :bang:

I got around to look at the 2 bugs today, fixed pushed and new created. So spells and clothing (also border figure) is working.

Cause: On demand resources where not loaded.

Tested on English and German chapter 1-6 installations that were Blackstar updated or SoAmigis v0.7 patched.

HD might be working, but the Blackstar intro might break it - not sure if I will fix that.

Rucksacksepp - the on-demand loading on some graphics is that still beneficial on today's HW?

Yes so I see what you mean - and the bug is not as I thought: premature free of resources - they seems not to be loaded - it is not the effect it is the projectile that is missing - sorry for being a bit slow, but as said I have not played the game that much - so I do not always know what I am expected to see. Well now I have a bit to work on.

I am closing in on the Casting issue - some of the cast do handle effects incorrectly they seem to be freed prematurely.

And the two images tell me that the effect/graphic is wrong for the spell frost?

And the second? I think the the rendering of the border figure is correct - but I have to try what you are trying to tell me - from the picture I see no issue - probably reading it wrong. Now I get it :) - no re-initialing of the character.

The xref.db are not totally identical - you put a dwarf and more in :D

Anyway I am not sure I see the bug - there is nothing in the log - when load the same game (with your xref.db)

Or was it when the spell is cast... ahh it was, I will be back.

I just pushed my the two small fixes.

Hm, interesting. After deleting one in the title.db it worked. Found something in siege.log about that: Parts.Create Duplicates not allowed. Before deleting "medition" in title.db it mentions the same, too.

Yes that is the entry in the Log. I did not bother looking for more duplicates - I just made the code handle it.

Cache isn't important anymore. And it can cause more bugs. E.g. sometimes you couldn't finish a quest and after clearing the Cache folder you could continue.

Will put that on my cleanup list.

I have not experienced these - can I have your xref.db and a save game - please.

Well that was very helpful - the problem was the 0.7 patched Title.db file - it has double entries - but now I just update the dictionary values for the key - one example was "Meditation" both in line 101 and 152 - my re-implementation expected first col to be unique as it should be.

That also pointed me in the area you had been - which caused undressed character - since none were selected at a list of one - classic :D

The game can now be played again. But I will just check up on issues I found with the "cache" - is that feature even relevant anymore - on new hardware?

So, I tested your Siege.exe many times. First I saw that you extracted the Shadow.bmp, Glow.bmp and Xray.bmp. So I copied them into my folder. Nothing changed. The I added the other player.pox files, nothing... Copied the interface into Interface/English directory, nothing...

The Shadow.bmp and the remaining missing ones are put into the .exe as resources so that I did not need to deploy them separately.

The error codes are:

Main.CloseLoad Accessblablabla (=Loading... you don't say...)

Main.WMStartNew Accessblablabla

I just ended at the same point - but there are some issues before.

I can't remember why - it has been a while :D

But I have a setup now that fails - it stopped working when I added the 0.7 DE Patch - so first conclusion was the save files as you mentioned - but that is not it.

Thanks for your help! - now I can debug and fix :party:

You are right I wrote my code was 5 times slower than the DLLs - but we were still at 0.04 msec - I did optimizer a bit afterwards and get the remaining stuff to work -1 - but I will put a small video up at sometime. The DLL do not make the difference - the ddraw does :)

Yes it was the $ifndef directx parts, since that code was using GDI - and the project was always compiled/run with a DIRECTX compiler directive anyway - but I guess the reason what for debugging since DirectX is so possessive of the screen it make debugging painful - unless you use 2 monitors or remote debugginng.

$IFDEF, $IFNDEF and $DEFINE .., are used on compilation, not runtime. So if you code for multiple platforms or only when debugging, you could separate platform specific code like this:

{$IFDEF MSWINDOWS}

...do Windows specific stuff here

{$ENDIF}

{$IFDEF LINUX}

..do Linux stuff stuff

{$ENDIF}

See more here: http://docwiki.embarcadero.com…ional_compilation_(Delphi)

BTW: My WIn 8.1 German Chapter 1-6 install - gives me the joy of spending time on some remote debugging tomorrow - good night :)

It wanted DirectPlay installed, restart and then nothing, thanks for pointing me into this dark hole :ufo:

Did you mean directX or digiFX/dfx.dll - I have remover all no-directX code. Without the custom ddraw.dll game is unbearable slow.

Just installed German kapitel 1-6 on a win 8.1 machine - still miss patching and ddraw.

The testbuild I have that does not need the digiFX dfx.dll, is fast - my tests showed that my code is faster than the old dll code - but too buggy for release :D