Beiträge von savage

Here is a work in progress screen shot to show the SoAoS german menu running on MacOS X. With the dev environment in the back ground.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://savagesoftware.com.au/download/JEDI-MACOSX.png]

This essentially shows that JEDI-SDL is cross compilable using FreePascal on Win32, Linux and now MacOS X.

So the next step is to continue my work in getting the engine ported over. If I have some time I'll upload a MacOS X version of the simple sprite demo I posted last week.

Someone might be lending me a MacBook for a few weeks so I will see if I can get SoAoS working on there and will post a screen shot here, if I do, before I hand it back to him.

Here is the simple animation and layering demo using SDL.

It's not much, but is more of a proof of concept demo. The new pox files use PNG images internally, instead of using Fast Projects' proprietry system. Please read the "SDL Demo Reame.txt" files to find out what keys do what.

I have not tackled shadows yet, but I am looking into it.

Remember this is highly unoptimised and very crude.

It's just me as always working on it.
    I've been very busy with Real Life (tm ) and also other projects.

I'll put together a small layered animation demo to show it working and post a link to it in the next day or so.

About a year and a half ago I posted information about how the intro and initial game menus were working and were now totally multi-lingual and support German, English and Spanish at the moment and could be changed at run-time.
    Hmm come to think of it maybe I posted that information on www.delphigamer.com or www.pascalgamedevelopment.com.

Anyway, the point is that the basic startup and menus, have been tested and work on both Win32 and Linux ( ix86 ), and with the current code base, should compile and run under MacOS X with little or no code changes. There is still much work to be done on porting the engine side of things, but my aim is to eventually re-write the engine and tools ( with or without help ), so that the isometric game engine can be used for other projects and maybe a more complete Pillars of Avalon.

Hi all,
    I'm the guy who's porting SoAoS to Linux and MacOS X.

Great to see these forums still active. I have made a slight break-through this week ( thanks to the help of one of other SoA developers - Allen Halstead ), in that I have managed to write a converter to convert the *.pox files to a more cross-platform format, which actually has slightly better compression in most cases. The idea is that if you already have the game, this convertor will convert all your existing pox files to the the new format and still allow you to play SoAoS.

So far the animated sprites all convert well, but I have some slight problems with Static objects ( carts, walls ) as they seem to use a slightly different technique for storing their images. I will be speaking to Allen about them this week to see if he can help me sort those out as well.

Anyway this is just a quick note to say stuff it going on, even though it is at a snails pace.

If anyone is interested in seeing some basic animations that use the new cross-platform code. Post a message to this thread and I will put something together.

An here is another ( enjoy :)...

I don't know how anyone else is taking screen shots, but for me the best way is to press Alt+PrintScreen, which copies the screen shot to the clipboard. Then I open up Paint Shop Pro and paste it in.

I speak Spanish and French and the odd word of Mandarin. I did learn German at school many years ago, but it was only for a semester and I have forgotten most of it.

Just for everyone's info, SoA was released in Spain and Russia ( as well as US and Germany ). I bought a copy of the Spanish version, but would also like to get a hold of the Russian version so I can make sure that it works.

hmm, maybe it's just in my version then. I may try to see if I can build an updated original exe, If I have time tomorrow and post it here.

Attached is an in game screen shot of the new options screen.

As you can see I have also added the ability for the game to run in Windowed mode. This can be set via a flag in the Siege.ini file ( only in this version, not the original ).

You guys and girls probably know this already, but if you want the women in the game to only wear a bikini. Add the following line to your Siege.ini file...

Zitat

bikini=true

Rather than worry about the older version, maybe what might be better is if I try and create a small release of the new version that you can then test to see if that same problem still exists on your machine.

Alternatively, if you already know how to use CVS you can download the latest EXE and files from SourceForge and run it on your machine.

I will be adding an ix86 Linux executable soon.

Oh Ok, In my version I have all the Ending values, but my "history" value has an extra entry...

Zitat

history=HistoryJournalPage1,HistoryJournalPage2,HistoryJournalPage3,HistoryJournalPage4,HistoryJournalPage5,HistoryJournalPage6

Does the german version have a file called HistoryJournalPage6.bmp?

Zitat

Original von Linuxsys
    Hmm, one of the still remaining main problems is that Siege of Avalon isn't playable on plattforms like NT, 2000 or WinXP...

But I think this isn't so in the opensource version, or?

I have tested the OpenSource version on 2000 and XP, and so far, it works identically on both. I don't remember having any problems with the original either. After all it is using DirectX for it's rendering. Actually I have the Spanish version of the original SoA and I have it running on a Win2000 box.

Hi SoA fans,
    My name is Dominique AKA Savage

Recently I have been working on porting SoAoS to Linux and this week the Intro Movie, and Mainmenus work on Win32 and Linux and in theory could also work on MacOS X.

Other changes I am making include making the game multi-lingual. At the moment you can change from English, German to Spanish all from the Options menu. One thing I will be adding is the ability to create female and other characters in the New Game screen.

I cannot read german so cannot follow your forums :( , so you will need to translate which bug PiroMaster found so that I can try and fix it, or add it to my list of bug fixes.

If you want to see some screen shots of the game ( well the menus for now ) working on Linux, let me know.

If you know of anyone who would like to help with this project, let me know.